6.13.18 We are officially old: Simon Le Bon is a Glamfather. Er, Grandfather
Duran Duran fans, it’s official: We are old.
How do I know this?
Because — as had to happen eventually — Simon Le Bon became a grandfather on June 6.
I figure there are stages in the life of teen fandom:
- You find the object of affection (OOA)
- You lust after OOA
- You write fanfic about OOA (OK, maybe that’s just me)
- OOA gets married and you mourn and then you try to pretend to be happy because he’s happy and Idon’tcarenotreallyanymoreIcanbemature
- While meeting OOA you realize, “He’s kind of a doofus,” which is endearing but makes all of the above all right*
- Fast-forward 30-odd years and they’re still married which is kind of a rock & roll record and you think Yeah, that’s pretty f’ing cool, man.
- Their offspring have offspring and you realize the grim reaper is coming one of these days, any day, soon.
Anyway, all of this to say congratulations to my OOA and teenage muse: Simon Le Bon and his wife Yasmine are now grandparents, as of June 6. Taro Arturo is a pretty, um, heavy name to give a little baby but you had nothing to do with that.
* So this is my brief story of meeting Duran Duran in 2005 when I was well past my heartthrob status but it was really f’ing cool anyway:
They were playing a corporate show for a new vodka that was debuting in the US, and had performed on a barge just off Liberty Island (which is where the Statue of Liberty lives). It was a huge, expensive event and I had just enough pull and excuse at the time to wangle my way into the backstage tents. While there I was talking to the press rep and Simon bounced over. Like, bounced. In a dorktacular fashion.
He was holding a bandanna on around his head.
“So, think this looks like Tupac?” he asked (mostly the PR, as I was nobody).
“More like La Toya,” I snarked. I snarked at him. Now who’s the dork?
Long may the Glamfather reign.
Like what you’re reading? Donate here!
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
SIGN UP FOR MY BEAUTIFUL AND TALENTED NEWSLETTER!
CLICK ABOVE, OR SCAN THIS QR CODE BELOW WITH YOUR PHONE: